Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Good help really is hard to find

I've been cleaning windows for over 30 years in Gainesville, and I can tell you that having that kind of longevity and a good reputation causes the demand to outstrip the supply of my available hours. To make matters worse, I don't know if there is anyone else left in the business in this town.

But this is not just about window cleaning. There are many people in some sort of home service business who I just cannot locate any more. I'd like to be able to refer them, but they are either too busy, or burned out.

 During such bad economic times, I would expect a lot of people to be starting new businesses. That's what I did back in 1981, when I could not find a good paying job. I decided to become an employer and hire myself! It was slow going at first. And I was only doing shops and fast food restaurants for a long time. But eventually I got into the residential market, and that is where I have stayed.

 A good reputation is a great help if you want to stay busy and make money. But it takes time to develop, and a lot of people give up while waiting for that to happen. I have helped some people get started, which means they got a boost off my reputation in the beginning. But we really need more people in residential services, and networking with each other, if we are going to cultivate a steady workforce. Why this has yet happened on the internet is beyond me.

We know about Angie's List and Service Magic (now called HomeAdvisor), but these are large national listing companies. I pay HomeAdvisor $13 each for window cleaning leads, and the customers have to pay to be a member of Angie's List. There should be something more organic, which is why I am starting this blog.

There are just a few things I want to do here:
  1. Encourage new startups
  2. Help new startups find jobs
  3. Create a one-stop site that is attractive to homeowners
 Stay tuned to this blog by joining it.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Don. I came upon your blog and decided to comment. My name is Conrad Jayne and I own Advanced Cleaning and Janitorial here in Gainesville. I have been in business a while, but I'm having problems promoting my business. I do have a nice website that is on page one on the internet searches, and I advertise on Craigslist, but I still do not receive the calls I need to keep busy enough. My work, and service, are among the best, but the few calls I receive are from people who want a one time cleaning. I would like to know more about your idea to promote the local businesses. I have reached out to a few other people like this and have failed to hear back from them, but I'm hoping that things will eventually get better. I would like to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Thanks for the comment. Sometimes I really do feel like a voice in the wilderness. I have tried to work with other self-employed service people before, and for the most part they really don't seem to get it. And they don't usually want to give anything on their end. If you ask anything of them whatsoever, they back off.

    This probably isn't anything that applies to just business people guarding their own turf. I have tried to get local candidates to be forthcoming and blog all they want for free on one of my other properties, Alachua Voter Guide, and they are just as weird, defensive, and cagy as anyone. People just seem to be fundamentally distrustful. I really don't know what to do about that.

    Anyhow, I don't do these things because I need the work, cuz I don't. I'd like to help others and cultivate good people I can refer my overflow to. I think that if there is a good pool of reliable people, it will catch on with those people who are willing to pay for good help.

    You've probably noticed I haven't written a lot here. It's because I got real busy with business and other things and I haven't perceived that there is an interest out there. You have given me hope.

    ReplyDelete